Creating connections to reduce loneliness and social isolation among the elderly
Write a letter to uplift an older adult!
These are unprecedented times. Many older adults in the community and those who live in facilities are more isolated than ever before. In an effort to promote social distancing, facilities, residences and nursing homes are shutting their doors to the outside world.
Now more than ever, older adults need our love and support!
According to a Pennsylvania State University and UC Irvine study, “small gestures in everyday life,” like showing compassion and performing random acts of kindness, help us feel loved.
To do our part, GenHelp is proud to share the "Community Affections"
We’re collecting cards and artwork to send to older adults in nursing homes and in communities.
Guidelines for letters
1. Please handwrite your letters in large print. Handwriting a letter gives a more personal touch than typing it out.
2. Embrace creativity! Recipients love it when the letters are personal, have artwork and drawings. Feel free to include artwork and drawings. But don’t worry if you’re not artistic.
3. Be kind and thoughtful. Make your letters detailed, thoughtful and heartfelt. Think about what you’d like to receive if someone was mailing you a letter.
4. Put your cards in envelopes, if you can. It’s so much nicer to open up an enveloped card, don’t you think? If you’re sending more than 1 letter, leave your enveloped letters unsealed and unstamped and put them in a larger envelope or box to send.
5. Share your act of kindness! We love seeing photos of your letter writing! It also helps us spread the word about the initiative and lets others know about the impact your letters have. Tag us @joingenhelp on Instagram and use the hashtag #CommunityAffections.
6. Send us as many cards as you’d like! There is no deadline to send us cards.
This is a one-way letter exchange, meaning you won't get a letter back. Remember, this is part of the beauty of your act of kindness. It’s important that recipients don’t feel they need to write back or feel bad if they’re unable to write back.
Are you ready to mail? YAY!
Please send your letters to:
If you are in Calgary:
63-5019 46 Ave SW
If you are in Edmonton:
Community Affections Edmonton
205 - 10178 117 St NW
Edmonton, AB T5K2X9
Questions? Email us at: